Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Instruction

This week continued our series on ministry from a firm foundation. We talked about the use of the Bible as our source of truth. We were challenged from God's word to offer His solutions in a world of questions.

When it comes to using God's word to offer answers to peoples' questions, we are all guilty of using what my wife calls, "Bible Bullets". We take our point of view that is "biblical" and we find verses that support it, some out of context. We load up our guns with these verses and quickly fire at anyone who holds a different view. When we do this, people either fire back or they shut down and their stereotype of "close-minded evangelical" is reinforced.

How do you graciously offer God's truth in your ministry?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

How do you graciously offer God's truth in your ministry?

I try to live and minister (there's no separating those two) by the principle "act on your convictions, but hold them loosely".

When discussing an issue w/someone I ask "what does the Bible say?" "Why do you think that?" What does the whole of Scripture reveal/infer?" Then we look at it.

I go into a conversation knowing what my convictions are (and I try to defend them), but I try to remember that I am small in the presence of God's wisdom. I remember that everything that happens in my life is an opportunity to grow in Christ likeness. Either I'm going to grow by having my conviction strengthened, or I'm going to grow by changing my conviction based on God's Word.

One way to boil it down is to remember that as long as I'm alive I will always be a "work in progress"; the point of life is preparation for eternity. The minute God's work in my life is done is the minute I die.