Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fellowship

At our church we continued the series on "Ministry from a firm foundation" with a sermon on fellowship. As I screwed on the third leg I was wondering why everyone was chuckling. It was only after the sermon that I realized I had screwed the leg into the table VERY slanted - it looked horrible from the congregation. (It was fixed before this pic) It made the table seem less sturdy, so I guess it helped with the illustration of a table needing four legs to be solid.

Many Christian churches have a skewed view of fellowship. Many times our events say they promote fellowship but really just foster friendships. I think that relationships and friendship are important, but there is so much more to fellowship than just being friends. We can find friendships in bars, athletic clubs, and sewing circles - so what is so special about our relationship with another brother or sister at church? We have fellowship in the church unlike any other bond because what binds us together isn't just a shared interest or time together, but Christ.

How do you define fellowship? Does ministry you are involved in value friendship more than fellowship?

No comments: